Lots Of ThingsTo Do
Villa Helidona’s atmosphere is just right for a great holiday. A spacious comfortable home and a great pool in a secluded location, many guests just stay here for complete relaxation for it is truly peaceful here.
But Crete is a beautiful island and the landscape is quite breathtaking: the blue Mediterranean Sea, the high mountain ranges, the scents from orange blossoms in early spring to wild mountain herbs in late summer and so much more. Everything has its own charm well worth exploring.
Below you will find some suggestions for sightseeing, sports and just some good old fun:
• Water Park - "Watercity" Anopolis max. 10 minute drive from villa. Wave pool and lots of water slides for all tastes from easy going to extreme… "Aquasplash" Hersonissos 20 min.
• Horseback Riding - Riding Stables Karteros 10 min. Riding Stables Avdou 20 min.
• Hiking / Walking - the European Trekking Route E4 passes just 3 km to the south of the village. The Karteros Gorge is just to the west of the village. Nature walks in the extended area with guide if requested (addidtional costs).
• Paragliding - Avdou 20 min.
• Mountain Bike - group excursions Avdou 20 min.
• Golf - 18 hole - PGA Design Hersonissos 20 min.
• CretAquarium - New Aquarium 60 tanks of sea water with 2500 species from Mediterranean and tropical waters. This is part of the “Thalassocosmos” - “Seaworld” building complex of HCMR of Crete, located within the old American Base of Gournes 15 min
• Antiquities - The Minoan Palaces of Knossos, Malia, Phaestos and
the city of Gortyna… and so much more!
• Venetian Fortress - Spinalonga, built on small island in the bay of Elounda, used to be a lepers colony. 60 min. - Koules built in early 1500’s in Heraklion harbour 25 min.
Heraklion Archaeological Museum
PLEASE NOTE: The Archaeological Museum is closed due to renovations. A small display of all the most important artifacts has opened behind the old museum.
Archanes Archaeological Museum - small but very interesting Museum with local finds from area 30 min.
• Houdesti - Labyrinth Music Workshop has an ongoing Exhibition of Instruments of the World. Collection of more than 200 musical instruments from countries such as Greece, Turkey, India, China …15 min.
• Festival - Concerts Heraklion Summer Festival July - September Houdesti Labyrinth Concerts June - August
• Exhibitions - St. Mark’s Basilica Heraklion Art, Photo and General Interest Exhibitions and St. George’s Gate Heraklion - Art Exhibitions - Historical Museuem of Crete: Centennial exibition of Odysseas Elytis Nobel laureate's birth in Heraklion November 2nd 1911- manuscripts,
drawings, collages and photographs
• Kazani - see how the Cretans brew their Schnapps "raki". Almost like moon shining - you will spend an evening at
small distillery in Episkopi. Food, wine and lots of raki. You can participate in this special event only during the month October.(free)
• Greek Cooking Lessons - Your own private cooking lessons at the villa. Learn how to make your favorite Greek food. (additional costs)
• Shiatsu Massage - Ayurveda Message - Yoga Lessons
Therapist will come to villa for your individual massage or Yoga Lesson (additional costs)
Come visit Crete - just a great place to be.